This VME COBOL programming course provides new entrants to the IT industry with a solid foundation in the use of COBOL. Using structured methods, delegates will learn to design, code and test COBOL applications in a VME environment. In addition to providing delegates with the skills to utilise the full COBOL syntax, this event also provides them with a good grounding in a basic program design method based on Jackson like principles.
Delegates will acquire the knowledge and skills to:
- Use Jackson-based techniques to design programs.
- Write COBOL source programs.
- Write the SCL required to drive a suite of COBOL programs.
- Use the SCL/COBOL interface.
- Use the DDS for copying file definitions.
- Create a program test plan and the associated test data.
- Effectively use ITS (Interactive Testing System).
- Use VME utilities (to sort, merge, copy, list and match records).
- Design and code (called) modules and handle parameters.
An intensive, very practical event, which requires evening work most days and therefore residential booking is recommended, designed and delivered by experienced COBOL consultant lecturers. To consolidate the more formal sessions, extensive, supervised, hands-on practical work is integrated into the structure of the course. Tuition is supplemented by comprehensive Course Manuals.