An increase in the volume and velocity of data has spurred a need for new techniques to understand and convey its meaning. Data visualizations are graphical means of summarizing and describing data. This course describes various types of visualizations and teaches participants how to link they data they have and the message they want to deliver to the appropriate visualization.
What Makes this Course Stand Apart?
- An explanation of the theory provides guidance in creating visualizations rather than a cookbook; approach which cannot fit all situations.
- A focus on communicating creates results that are more effective in explaining the data.
- Ample examples and a reference list that can be used to further explore the topic after class.
- In-class practice with opportunities to critique work.
- Experimenting with a variety of visualization tools.